Friday, May 10, 2013

buttermilk bran muffins

I think everyone has a recipe for these muffins, the ones you can supposedly leave in the refrigerator for 6 weeks. 6 weeks??? That gives me the willies especially when my buttermilk is set to expire in two days. Makes no sense to me. That being said, I've never tested it because the batter is gone in a matter of days. I love this recipe because I make it on Monday and we have breakfast the rest of the week. I serve it with fruit and it's delicious.


I don't even know who to give the recipe credit to. Oh well. 
Makes about 2-3 dozen

2 cups All Bran cereal
1 cup Raisin Bran
1 cup boiling water
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare your muffin tin by coating it lightly with cooking spray.

In a bowl whisk together flour, raisins, salt and baking soda. Set aside. 

Combine cereals and water in a separate large bowl. Let stand for 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes, stir to ensure that the cereal is soft. Add the sugar and wet ingredients. Mix. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until JUST combined. Over-mixing will make the muffins tough. 

Use a large cookie scoop to fill the muffin tins (about 1/4 cup of batter). Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffins comes out clean. 

Immediately flip muffins onto a cooling rack. Enjoy!

You can either bake a few every morning, depending on what you need or you can bake 1 dozen at a time and that should last you for a few days. I prefer to do that latter - less work for me - just microwave them for a few seconds to warm them before serving. 

* You can substitute applesauce for the oil but I feel like it messes with the texture of the muffins. I'm not really a huge fan of applesauce substitution. If you are hell bent on it might I suggest trying half oil and half applesauce. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...