Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Whole Wheat Bread

I bought a Bosch back in February and I've been trying to make my own bread since then. I meant to try several recipes but I started with this one and haven't had a desire to try another. This is delicious and SO easy. I love that the bread rises in the cold oven and only for 30 minutes, then it's as easy as removing the towel and turning the oven on. I can bake 3 loaves of bread in just a little over an hour from start to finish. 

photo taken by my lovely friend, Becca B. 
Recipe from my awesome sister, Jenn
Makes 3 loaves

Into your mixer place:
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 generous cups of VERY hot water
1/3 cup olive oil (or canola)
1/3 cup honey (or sugar)
2 teaspoons salt

Mix until well combined. Turn off mixer, cover with a clean towel and let sit for 10 minutes. While you are waiting, take 3 loaf pans and coat with cooking spray.

Once the ten minutes are up, remove the towel and add:
2 heaping tablespoons of yeast
3 heaping tablespoons of vital wheat gluten

Turn your mixer on and add:
1 1/2 cups bread flour

Continue mixing. In humid Texas I need to add a little more flour, usually 1/2 cup more, until the bread no longer sticks to the side of the bowl and forms a nice ball while mixing. Knead for 10 minutes.

Spritz hands with a little cooking spray and divide dough into thirds. Shape into loaves and place in pan, turning once to coat with oil. Place your loaf pans in the oven and cover with a towel. Let rise for 30 minutes.

REMOVE THE TOWEL BEFORE YOU CONTINUE

After the bread has risen for 30 minutes (the bread should be about double and almost to the top of the pan), turn your oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes. My oven is a little hotter so the loaves are done closer to 30 minutes. If in doubt, use your instant-read thermometer. It should read 190 degrees. Remove the bread from the oven and then instantly remove it from the pan. Place the hot bread on a wire rack and let cool as long as you can before breaking into it.

I have no self control so I usually burn my mouth.

1 comment:

  1. Made this for my visiting teaching gals yesterday. So yummy! I'm not sure I'll be able to give it away:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...